Friday, January 11, 2013

Praying Specifically for the NEXT GENERATION


Specific is defined by Webster’s as: distinctly specified

As I was studying scripture this week, I found it wonderfully encouraging, yet at the same time, strongly convicting, that so many people who prayed throughout scripture prayed specifically.  Whether it was the disciples in Acts 1:24 praying specifically about who should take the place of Judas, or Jacob in Genesis 32:9-12 praying specifically about his meeting with Esau, they are beautiful reminders that we should pray about Everything! 

I fear we many times pray quick on the run prayers, and we fail to see the Power of the Amazing, Mighty God that we serve.  God longs to hear and answer our prayers, yet I wonder… how many specific prayers is He hearing.  I know when He does hear and answer our prayers, people all around us are encouraged as we share our stories of ONLY what God could do. 

Take for example, my dad shared with me how he and a friend had been praying for months about money needed for a mission in Honduras.  He works with an orphanage in Honduras who had been given the money to pour a concrete slab for a building, but they had not had the money to put the tin roof on the building.  It seemed every time that I talked with my dad he would tell me of how God was supplying the money~ yet, they were still lacking $25,000 for the roof. 

He and his friends decided to pray SPECIFICALLY about God providing that money and pray that it would come in by a certain time.  Well, several days passed and then I got a call from my dad on a Sunday afternoon and He was beyond excited and praising God. 

While at church a lady walked up to him and gave him a check for $15,000 saying that God had told her specifically to give towards this building.  Soon after that, his friend called him to say that a man had given him a check for another $5000 for the building… WOW! God is good.  And just to show you that we serve an all powerful, mighty, supply our needs God… as my dad was walking (or probably skipping) to his car, someone else walked up and gave him the last of the $25,000… another check for $5000.  What a mighty God we serve. 

So now, I challenge you, as I challenge myself…  Let’s PRAY SPECIFICALLY for our Children and the NEXT GENERATION!

Nehemiah prayed Specifically in Nehemiah 6:9 that God would strengthen his hands.  In James 5:17 we are reminded that Elijah prayed specifically that it would not rain. Oh the joy of praying about EVERYTHING from hands to rain!!

Below are some scriptures that I am striving to pray specifically for my son and for my nieces and nephews! May we find joy in praying specific scripture for the NEXT GENERATION!!

A-             That he would have the ATTITUDE of Christ… Philippians 2:5
B-             That he would be BOLD AND STOUTHEARTED … Psalm 138:3
C-             That he would be COURAGEOUS. Joshua 1:9
D-            That he would be DEVOTED TO PRAYER. Colossians 4:2
E-             That he would be an ENCOURAGER. 1 Thessalonians 5:11
F-             That he would be FAITHFUL. Proverbs 3:3
G-             That he would be GENEROUS. Proverbs 11:25
H-            That he would HIDE GODS WORD IN HIS HEART. Ps. 119:11
I-              That he will be a MAN OF INTEGRITY. 1 Chronicles 9:17
J-              That he LOVES JESUS with all of his heart. Luke 10:27
K-            That he is KIND. Ephesians 4:32
L-             That he is a godly LEADER. Isaiah 55:4
M-           That he is MERCIFUL. James 2:13
N-            That he is NEIGHBORLY. Matthew 19:18&19
O-            That he is OBEDIENT to God’s Word. 2 John verse 6
P-             That he is PATIENT. Galatians 5:22
Q-            That he has a QUICK to listen James 1:19
R-             That he is RESOLVED to do what’s right Daniel 1:8
S-             That he SEEKS first the kingdom of God Matt 6:33
T-             That he is TEACHABLE Psalm 25:4&5
U-            That he has an Undivided Heart Psalm 86:11
V-             That he has Vision Proverbs 29:18 (KJV)
W-           That he WHOLEHEARTEDLY serves the Lord Ephesians 6:7
X-             That he is a godly eXample to others 1 Corinthians 11:1
Y-             That he flees the evil desires of YOUTH 2 Timothy 2:22
Z-             That he is never lacking in ZEAL for the Lord. Romans 12:11


I would love to hear how you are praying SPECIFICALLY!!

Thanks for stopping by!

Also- a great book to read on praying specifically is THE CIRCLE MAKER by Mark Batterson

Blessings from the Hollowell Home

1 comment:

  1. I got here from Candace Jerkins' blog, and I am so glad I did! This is a fantastic way to specifically pray for our kids! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete